Advertisements - Advertising at The News And Times - advertising-newsandtimes.com | WE CONNECT!
Listen to this article
Michael Moore is now predicting the Democrats will win the midterms. Others are predicting the Democrats will lose the midterms. But pundits all just make these kinds of prognostications for attention. In reality, no one can predict who will win the closest of races. These midterms are super competitive, which means it’ll all come down to how much work you do these final two weeks.
Tweet of the day, from Democratic Senator Brian Schatz: “No one knows what is going to happen November 8. Unless you are a professional prognosticator, keep your take about why we won or lost to yourself until after we either win or lose. And if you are passionate about democracy, get the hell off this website and make phone calls.”
The good news is that of the four hundred-plus House races on the ballot in any given election cycle, only about 10% of them ever end up being particularly competitive; the other 90% of races are in districts that are too blue or too red to be competitive. Why is this good news? It means we can focus on just those 10% of highly competitive races – which can be decided by a tiny margin – and change the outcome simply by getting involved.
Here are the competitive House races we’re focused on. They’re split up into categories:
“Toss-up” means the race is on track to be decided by perhaps one point or less. These are the races where we can make the most difference, with even a small effort. Toss-up races are divided into “Toss-up (Democratic challenger)” and “Toss-up (Democratic incumbent)” – and both groups are equally important to retaining the House majority.
“Lean-R” means that if the election were held today, the Republican would be expected to win by a few points. With the political headwinds continuing to shift in the Democrats’ favor, we expect many of these “Lean-R” races to look more like toss-ups by November, so it’s important to get involved in them now.
“Lean-D” means that if the election were held today, the Democrat would be expected to win by a few points. These are races that we perhaps don’t have to worry about as much as the Toss-up and Lean-R races, but we’ve included the Lean-D races because the Republicans are trying to pick off the Lean-D seats.
So what can you do? If you have money, donate to these races. Many of them are lower profile, so even a small donation can make a big difference. If you have time, sign up to volunteer. They’re labeled by district, so you can pick the ones that are within driving distance. If you don’t live near any of these races, you can volunteer online from home. If you don’t have time or money to spare, you can help by sharing these candidate links on your Facebook and Twitter pages, so your followers with time or money will see it and contribute in their own way:
About this list: The “volunteer” links are the volunteer page provided by the candidate’s official website. The “donate” links lead directly to the ActBlue donation page that the candidate has designated on his or her official website, meaning the money goes directly to the candidate. The Toss-up, Lean-R, and Lean-D rankings primarily come from Cook Political Report, which has had a strong track record with such predictions. The order of the candidates is random with each category, and is changed each time the list is republished, in an attempt at promoting them evenly. Broken or incorrect links? Email us.